St. Mary’s Church in the tiny village of Mundon in Essex is a strikingly unusual and old-looking building. It’s timber-framed construction sets it apart as a building of bygone origin and design. It was built in the fourteenth-century within the moated site of Mundon Hall. Possibly built on the site of an Anglo-Saxon church, it also contained a font dating as far back as the twelfth century but this has since been removed. The northern porch was added in 1600 and was partly rebuilt in brick in the eighteenth century after falling into disrepair. After more recent deterioration and bomb-damage in the Second World War, church services were relocated and the church stopped regular use. However, the church remains open today in the safe hands of the Friends of Friendless Churches, who look after such places of worship which might otherwise fall into decline. The old hand-painted signage and timberwork is in excellent condition and really makes entering this place feel like stepping back in time.