Location Report

By Joe Mander

Roundway Hospital

Roundway Hospital dates back to the 1840’s when a committee of Justices approved plans for an asylum in Wiltshire. Forty-eight acres of land was purchased and architect Thomas Henry Wyatt was brought in to design the asylum, who went for an Italianate style. Stone for the buildings was mined locally and slate for the roof…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Severalls Mental Hospital

In 2015, Beyond the Point was given exclusive access to film and photograph inside the derelict site, with filming requests from the likes of the Discovery Channel declined. This was done with the intention of creating a feature film entitled ‘Secrets of Severalls’, although it never came to fruition due to time constraints and the…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Tillingham Perculiar People Chapel

This humble little chapel in Tillingham, on the Dengie Peninsula in Essex, was completed in 1867 for the Perculiar People. They were strict Puritan group founded in Rochford in 1838, and this religious trend spread through Victorian Essex. They attended day-long services on Sundays which often involved prayer and hymns in strict fashion, complete with…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

State Cinema, Grays

The Esse theatre was constructed in the 1930s – no surprise given its style, and was officially opened on the 5th of September 1938, with ‘The Hurricane’ being the first film to be projected onto the cinema screen. The huge cinema had seats for 2,200 theatre goers and even had a 50 seater restaurant on…

View More
By Joe Mander

Whitchurch Hospital

Whitchurch Hospital opened as the Cardiff City Mental Hospital with the medical superintendent, Dr Edwin Goodall, reluctant to refer to it as an asylum. Due to Cardiff’s rapidly growing population an asylum was needed ad in 1898 construction started on this £350,000 hospital, which opened its doors in 1908. Whitchurch was a large asylum which…

View More
By Joe Mander

Bristol County Asylum

Today this former asylum is owned by the University of West England (UWE) and is home to hundreds of students who studying medical courses. With various hospital wards and beds – all of these are mockups used for training but fortunately the university have retained many features of the 140 year old building. St Peter’s…

View More
By Joe Mander

St Cadoc’s Hospital

Officially opened in January 1906, St Cadoc’s Hospital is one of few original asylum buildings which is still used today. Although the majority of the site is sitting unused, mental health services for children, adults and the elderly are still provided on site, including in some of the original wards. In 1891 Newport was constituted…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Bata Shoe Factory & Estate

The Bata shoe factory and estate was built in East Tilbury the 1930s by Czecheslovakian entrepeneur Thomas Bata. It was modelled on the original factory in Zlín, now in the Czech Republic, and hence survives as an unusual piece of Czech industrial Modernism here in Essex. The factory was converted into the Thames Industrial Park…

View More
By Joe Mander

Rauceby Asylum

In 1889 Kesteven became its own authority and was required by law to have any asylum so the search began to find a suitable site for building one. Sixteen sites were shortlisted and the land at Rauceby was the cheapest so the 112 acre site was chosen. Five different architects were asked to submit designs,…

View More
By Joe Mander

Upnor Magazines

The former Royal Navy Ordnance Depot has been based here since the late 17th century, used to store and prepare munitions for the naval ships laid up on the River Medway at Chatham.  Situated opposite Chatham Dockyard the depot was an important part of the daily activity at the dockyard and due to its location…

View More