Author: Liam Heatherson

By Liam Heatherson

Tilbury Fort

Tilbury Fort has been defending London from the threat of invasion for over 500 years. Since the fort was built in 1539, under the rein of King Henry VIII, it has survived many wars and battles including the Spanish Armada. At its peak in the 1700’s there was an estimated 100 guns at the site. In…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Dunton Plotlands Ruins

The plotlands was an area of natural land available for rent/purchase as holiday spots, popular with Londoners who wanted to escape to the countryside. No proper development was really carried out and the residences, pathways, and streets, were the handywork of those visiting Dunton for leisure. It was used as a plotlands site until 1980…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Chipping Ongar ROC Post

This Royal Observer Corps observation post bunker was constructed in 1959 and closed at the end of the Cold War in 1991. Its relatively good condition is likely owing to its late shutdown date compared to ROC posts which shut much earlier. Inside can be found various furniture as well as non-original agricultural manuals.

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Woodham Ferrers ROC Post

The post in 2013 pre-demolition of the access structure Woodham Ferrers is a small village in south Essex, north of the largely later and more well-known development South Woodham Ferrers. On the hill at the south of the village lies the remains of a Cold War observation post, designed to locate and report nuclear blasts,…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Millennium Mills

Many comprehensive histories of the mills have been written online, so here is just a very brief overview of their past, present, and future. The grain mills at Silvertown are perhaps one of the last substantial remnants of London’s docklands and a symbol of their decline in the light of the area’s very contrasting redevelopment….

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Coryton Oil Refinery

The refinery c.2014 (BTP) and 2016 (Slayaaaa) prior to the demolition of its many towers The refinery was built over Coryton village (Kynochtown) and Kynoch’s munitions factory (the site of which still remains just north of the refinery – see here). The explosives factory operated from the late 1890s up until 1919 serving through the…

View More