The Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, south Glasgow, is one of the cities main hospitals and has existed since 1786 when it opened as a general dispensary. The current, modern hospital building was officially opened in 1988 by Princess Alexandra which saw the previous building close.
The previous hospital was designed by the Paisley architect Thomas Graham Abercrombie and was built at the turn of the 19th century with 234 beds, a separate block for infectious patients and a 100 seat chapel. The building uniquely has circular balconies, something not really seen at other asylums.
Once the hospital closed in 1987 it was converted into a care home and operated until 2008 when it was abandoned. Some of the site was converted into housing back in 1995 however the majority of the site remained derelict. In 2010 it was put on the Buildings at Risk register and the site was up for sale as of 2021 for offers over £600,000.
Sources: Daily Record, Wikipedia, Glasgow Live