In April 1959 proposals were revealed for a new County Library premises, which had been approved by the council but needed funding of £144,000 plus almost £20,000 for archives. Meeting notes from the time reveal that signification improvements in concrete structures since the Second World War meant that pre-cast concrete buildings were becoming more common, usually with standard, factory-produced cladding on the outside.
All 11 floors of the tower were used as a book depository with ‘Music’ on Floor 2 to ‘Classic Fiction’ on Floor 11. The floors were accessed by either a staircase or life. Some of the buildings had been demolished prior to our visit however an archaeological report shows how the building looked and proposal sketches from the 1950’s.
60 years later and only the tower remains. Plans were approved in 2010 to demolish the buildings and replace them with a new block of flats however these plans seem to have stalled.
Reception Photos Pre-Demolition
Tower Photos, 2022
Source: SWAT Archaeology Report, 2017