Situated close to Tendring Primary School are the remains are two observations posts which would have been used during the Cold War, should it have actually happened.
Shown around by Thomas and Austin, the ROC Post is in a fairly good condition although has been stripped of most of the original furniture. Hundreds of these posts were built across the UK from the late 1950’s and volunteers from the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) would have operated them by monitoring the effects of a nuclear blast however many posts were shut within the first 10 years due to numerous issues from flooding to subsidence.
Above the surface there’s also a Type B Orlit Post. As technology improved throughout the Second World War it was becoming increasingly difficult to detect aircraft heading towards Britain so it was decided to go old-school and built observation posts to look for them. Named after the company who made the panel structures for it, Messrs Orlit Ltd, these lookouts were divided into two sections, one was a roofed section which was used as a shelter and the second was open to allow spotters to look out. This is a Type B post meaning that it’s above ground, Type A posts are usually ground level. The Tendring Post is still stable however is missing a wall from the structure.
Underground ROC Post
Orlit B Post
Sources: Wikipedia & FSGFort.com