Tag: Greater Essex

By Joe Mander

Woodhouse Farm, Rivenhall

Woodhouse Farm dates back to the early 17th century and is Grade II listed, despite being modified over the years. It lies derelict next to the former RAF Rivenhall site near Whitham however since visiting the site we’ve seen plans which show that the farm will be restored and made into a visitor heritage museum….

View More
By Joe Mander

Tendring ROC & Orlit Posts

Situated close to Tendring Primary School are the remains are two observations posts which would have been used during the Cold War, should it have actually happened. Shown around by Thomas and Austin, the ROC Post is in a fairly good condition although has been stripped of most of the original furniture. Hundreds of these…

View More
By Joe Mander

Nazeing Bombing Decoy Bunkers

As aerial bombing emerged during the Second World War so did the defences. In addition to anti-aircraft batteries the Government started to build more discreet defensive positions with a new decoy programme launched in 1940 with some 839 decoys built. Potential targets such as airfields, factories or oil refineries had decoys built in the nearby…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

RAF Rivenhall

Opened in 1943, Rivenhall was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Force. During the war it was used primarily as a combat airfield with various fighter and bomber units based there. In was closed following the end of the the war in 1946 although it was kept in reserve for a following…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Prisoner of War Camp 116

Down an unmade lane in the quaint countryside Essex village of Hatfield Heath lies what at first appears to be a set of abandoned farm sheds. This hutment was in fact Prisoner of War Camp ‘High Hall’ 116, and once housed around 1,500 Italian, Austrian, and (from 1943) German soldiers captured in the European and…

View More
By Joe Mander

Berners Roding Church

Berners Roding is a tiny village in the mid-Essex countryside. In fact, it is barely a village at all. Compared to a 1777 map, the village appears to have hardly changed, perhaps even shrunk. Consisting of a few farm buildings and a row of houses, it may not even be established enough to be classed…

View More
By Joe Mander

‘A12’ ROC Post

Situated close to the A12, this immaculately preserved ROC Post hasn’t been touched for years and is pretty much a time capsule. Built in the June of 1959, a month before the one at Hatfield Peverel, the site holds many relics that would have been in the bunker when it was first opened including old bedding,…

View More