Tag: North-Kent

By Joe Mander

Garrison Point Fort

Garrison Point Fort is a rare two-tiered fort in Sheerness, built in the 1860’s over concerns of a French invasion. The fort was constructed in a prime location, providing the first line of defence for both the River Thames and the Medway, less than a mile away from Grain Tower Fort. In 1860 a report…

View More
By Joe Mander

Cooling Radio Station

As the world entered the 20th Century, technology was advancing at a rapid rate and communication between the UK and America was already wired with a transatlantic submarine cable. Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi was an expert in radio transmission and developed the first system which allowed wireless transmission from Cornwall to New Foundland, US. Following…

View More
By Joe Mander

Shornemead Fort

Shornemead Fort was one of many built along the Thames to protect London from an invasion. The fort was built on the site of a previous battery which started to be built in 1847 however after six years of intense building, the marshes couldn’t support the weight so a new re-designed fort, Shornemead, was built instead. The…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Nore Fort Remains

Nore Fort was a set of towers out in the very mouth of the River Thames, between Great Wakering and Sheerness. The fort designed by Guy Maunsell as a sea-platform anti-aircraft battery, and was built in 1942 during the Second World War. Nore followed an ‘Army’ style of fort; cuboid metal platforms on stilted reinforced-concrete…

View More
By Joe Mander

Hans Egede Shipwreck

Hans Egede Shipwreck – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA What would be a seemingly insignificant shipwreck actually actually has a fascinating history. Dutch-built ship ‘Hans Egede’ currently lies half destroyed and rotting along the Kent coast. There’s no hope of it ever being used again; only left for nature to continue eroding it. But how…

View More
By Joe Mander

Cliffe Explosives Factory

Cliffe Explosives Factory – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA Also known as ‘Curtis & Harvey’s Explosive Factory’ the site is now accompanied by loads of sheep, in which looking at pictures from last year, are a modern addition! According to 28DaysLater.co.uk: The factory began life as a Gunpowder Works, established in 1892 by Hay, Merricks and…

View More
By Liam Heatherson

Cliffe Cement Kilns & Slit Trench

The desolate expanse of Cliffe on the Southern side of the Thames has seen little use over history beyond agriculture, defence, and the cement industry. The construction needs of the Industrial Revolution called for cement development, and ‘artificial’ Portland cement which we still use today emerged in the mid 19th Century as a development from…

View More
By Joe Mander

Brennan Torpedo Station

Brennan Torpedo Station – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA The Brennan torpedo was invented by Louis Brennan in 1877. Two propellers were rapidly spun by wires wound up inside the torpedo being released. Once launched from a land station, the weapon could potentially hit a target 1,800 metres away, travelling up to 31mph. Whilst Louis…

View More