North Woolwich Station opened back in 1846, making it one of London’s oldest surviving stations.
The Grade II listed building in East London was using steam trains when it opened and only moved over to diesel locomotives in 1963. It was originally built to serve Woolwich, on the south side of the river, as the military town could only be accessed across the river via a ferry. The station was re-built in 1854, replacing the previous wooden buildings.
In more recent times, the station was part of the North London line, connecting the west with the east, and was also used as a railway museum dedicated to the history of the Great Eastern Railway. The station closed in 2006 with the museum closing two years later. Crossrail are using one of the existing tunnels under the Thames and are building an addition one, preventing any future use for the building as a train station.
North Woolwich Foot Tunnel